Saturday, 30 May 2015

P5 Preparation

Applying for the course

After finishing with the research of the universities I wanted to go to, I then applied to the universities I wanted to join, however, before doing this I had to register into UCAS.
For the application process on the UCAS website, I did the following instructions:

Step 1:  Select up to 5 universities/courses to apply to.

Step 2:  Fill in personal details about myself. 

Step 3:  Fill in details about my past qualifications, and thesubjects I am curently doing.

Step 4:  Write a personal statement.

Step 5: Write about past work experience or jobs.

Step 6: Get references from teachers and my progress coach.

Step 7: Send the details off.


Step 8: To show it was successful, UCAS will email or even send me a letter to confirm the information I have given them and will let me know in the nearby future if anything is wrong with the application. 




















Personal Statement 

From the year 1999, seeing the highly anticipated film 'The Lord Of The Rings' for the first
time I knew that I aspired to create a film just as heart felt and successful. Every day we
tell each other stories, and I have the eagerness to want to bring my stories to life, sharing
my vision with an audience, allowing them to share snippets of my life, creations that I
devise.

Whilst at Secondary School, English and Drama were the subjects that excited me the most,
allowing me to share my creativity, either practically in a performance or written down in the
form of story, allowing other people to share an insight into my passion. As well as directing
two performances whilst at school I also had a large input in elements of script writing and
character development roles, this allowed me to display my dexterity as I was multitasking
throughout the performances, making decisions on set lay out, communicating ideas and relaying
them to the other cast members.
Joining the Level 2 Media Diploma was key to my further education and my career path. Sixth
Form has allowed me to develop skills that were new to my repertoire; creating an exciting
animation film where I developed my frames within 'Toon Boom Harmony' this gave the film a
smooth appearance as the frames were created gradually. Creating this was not without its
challenges, it required a lot of patience, but in the same breath it was rewarding especially
when I received positive feedback from my audience including my tutor. During the course I
have been able to develop many personal skills, I am confident about leading tasks and setting
up group discussions, these skills were called upon when creating a short horror film. Working
in a team was a key to this film, having the experience I could call upon from School
productions, I feel that I united the group because of my calm and measured approach, all
members were given roles according to their strengths, creating mind maps and prompts which
gave them team structure and confidence. This piece was also well received by my tutor and the
audience. During my course I have explored different elements of film making ranging from
editing to acting, this given me an insight into each of the professions and allowed me to
gain valuable experience. Having made the most of all the opportunities given to me I have
been very lucky to use creative software that others may not have, I navigate easily around
new software and feel confident when creating ideas. I am also undertaking an EPQ which allows
me to create a pilot script about crime. I have enjoyed managing my own project, can organise
my time effectively and am open to incorporating feedback I receive from my blog on the ideas
I have posted.
Away from my education studies I also enjoy drawing and illustration, where I frequently
create my own storyboards, targeted at different audiences, some of my favourites are of
complex structures, landscapes and animals. I also have a keen interest in film and TV, at the
start of every month I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Empire magazine, where I enjoy
reading the reviews on new films. When they are released in the cinema I make use of my
student card and go to watch them. In my mind I create a review comparing it with what I had
read and share these views with my friends and family. I currently run three blogs where I
show my art work and stories, promote other artists and story tellers and ask for feedback
from the films I have made.

I want to pursue a career in Media and Film and I believe that I have the necessary desire and
gusto for taking risks in production which will support me to succeed in the industry. I would
thoroughly revel in the opportunity to study Media and Film at University as the next steps to
my future career.



When it came to sending portfolios, only one university that asked for one was Buckinghamshire, this was what I sent them:


Portfolio

This is the work I have done and currently doing:

Short Stories:

Stories From The End (Working title) This is about a group of survivors in a post apocalyptic world full of infected human beings, each chapter is through the eyes of a different survivor, telling their personal feelings and thoughts of the situation they are in. (This story is near to completion) 

RPG Story (Working title) The story starts off with three unlikely heroes who travel across the land to stop an evil wizard from destroying the world (cliche much right?) However, the story is told by six children who are playing a role playing game. (This is a quirky, crazy story with random encounters from a child's imagination.)  

Films/Animations:

https://vimeo.com/65210594 - Hugo & Jones, a short animation film about a bear and a rabbit who are detectives and solve crimes. Made with movie storm.

http://youtu.be/tVQA3K1fLz0 - Wonder, another short animation using the software 'toon boom'. This short film follows a traveler who encounters a living snowman, together, they travel across the wilderness. 

 https://vimeo.com/55021320 - Hunted, a horror short about a man who loses his mind and takes a step into insanity after taking sleeping pills.


Hope you have enjoyed what I have sent, I would be looking forward to response of my work and looking forward to hearing back from you in general.

Kind regards.
Joshua Vallely.


No comments:

Post a Comment